Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fashion sense?

If I had to describe myself using three words, fashionista would not be one of them.
I knew going into this year that part of my "out-of-your-comfort-zone" experience would be living in a big city. I prepared myself for learning to use the subway system, living in a higher density area, hearing foreign languages and meeting people from around the world. What I didn't even think about, however, was fashion.


The only thing I can credit to my fashion repertoire is that I don't own Crocs or Uggs. For me, that's doing pretty good. I don't know the style rules of living in a city, and I've never been one to follow (or understand) the rules of dress anyway. 


Out of all the categories, this has been the greatest "culture shock." This is no Milan, but people here get dressed up. I'm not sure if it is typical "city dressy," but I know that I've seen more skinny belts and trendy leather boots in the past month than I've seen in my last 20 years of my life. Not to mention that there is a 4-story H&M in the Central Station. The style, from what my uneducated fashion eye can tell, is a mix between hipster, thrift store, and runway. Confusing, if you ask me.

image courtesy of Chictopia.com, if that tells you anything


Yesterday, I awoke to a downpour. Rain flowing in my ventilated window, so loud that it wakes you up kind of downpour. Yes! I thought. The great fashion equalizer = bad weather. I felt smug as I pulled on my rain pants, zipped up my multiple layers of fleece and shoved a hat on my head. "Let's see those fashionistas today!"

It turns out that they have seen this kind of thing before. After all, they live here. I was greeted at the T-bane station with patterned umbrellas, trendy trench coats, and designer rain boots. So much for that theory.

So, for now, I'm sticking to my favorite striped long sleeve T-shirt and brown skirt. Maybe if I feel fancy I'll throw on my red Keens. You see, my leather boots wouldn't fit in my ski bag.

MY version of Oslo fashion- an apron the past tenants left in the kitchen...

No comments:

Post a Comment