Thursday, September 30, 2010

University of Oslo

As Liz so graciously pointed out, I have yet to talk about school. Since this is a study abroad, I figured that now was the right time to mention academics. Minor detail, right?

I am taking 3 courses at the University of Oslo- Environmental Geology, Introduction to GIS, and Norwegian Language and Culture. All present their own challenges and 'train my brain' in different ways.

First of all: University of Oslo has a gorgeous library on campus.
Looks like a museum, right?!

There are quiet study rooms and reading rooms on every floor. The whole building is bright and utilizes natural light.

The campus is beautifully landscaped and has interesting sculptures scattered throughout.

Compared to University in the states, I am at school much less time. On average, I will only be on campus for 4 hours a day. Nothing like a typical day at HSU! Because there are less people on campus throughout the day, the school seems very personal and not overcrowded. Although there are 30,000 students here, it feels much smaller. My classes are 25-30 students per lecture, which is considered moderately big!

Although my professors are fine, I haven't been blown away in regards to excellent teachers. From what I can tell, this is one of the most reputable universities in Norway, but I'm not overly impressed with the coursework or teaching styles. Professors are moderately engaged, but I compared to my instructors at Humboldt State, I don't sense the same passion for the topics at hand.

I have the unquestionably have the upper-hand in most of my classes. Since English is my native language, I don't have to struggle with the language barrier (besides in my language class, of course) and can focus solely on the content.

Overall, school is fine, but has yet to knock my socks off. The two biggest lessons I have learned are:
1.) I am incredibly lucky to speak English fluently.
2.) I am grateful for my passionate professors at HSU, thrilled that I choose to attend university there, and am looking forward to returning!

And thanks again to Liz, for the gentle reminder about priorities. 

1 comment:

  1. Great to see your university, too! Nothing like a foreign campus to put your home uni into perspective. If it's any consolation, I've had similar experiences with classes/professors in Ireland and England. I chalk this up mostly to the European style of university--less time in the classroom, less time engaging with the students, more time in labs/books/libraries/research etc + cultural differences (ie. Americans are generally more chatty & open).
    My advice is two-fold:
    1) If you have any remote interest in a professor or are really engaged in a subject matter, go see them in their office hours. From doing this in Ireland, I developed a better relationship with my primary Spanish teacher and discovered a shared love and writing of poetry! We've occasionally kept in touch since...
    2) Keep in contact with your professors back at home that you might already have a relationship with. Again, if a subject's come up in Olso that you discussed previously and/or think they'd find awesome, share it. At least then you might get that academic stimulus from a mentor somewhere on the planet!

    xoxoxoErica

    ReplyDelete