Sunday, October 10, 2010

Kipper Snacks- The Pride of Norway

During my visit to Stavanger, I stopped in at the Norwegian Canning Museum. The museum was closed when we got there at 4:30, but the (very kind) curator turned the lights back on and allowed us in for free! The museum is in a preserved canning factory, and a self-guided tour allows visitors to retrace the steps of the industry from years past. 

Stavanger is known as a booming port, and historically most industry has been connected with fishing. Both World Wars struck Stavanger's hard economically, and the increased post-war international competition and advancement of machine technology left Stavanger in the dust when it came to canning. Stavanger's economy has had a huge boost from the oil industry since the 1970s.

Now, most of the Norwegian canning companies harvest their catch in Norwegian waters, freeze the catch during transport to Poland, can the fish in Poland (with Norwegian-made machines), then ship them back to Norway for distribution. Norwegian canned fish are exported to every continent! 
This cabinet displayed kipper snacks from years past... many years past. One package has even been to the moon and back! The curator assured us that they were all fine to eat, even the ones from the '50s. I don't think I would take my chances, but I think I know one sardine fan that might risk it... What do you think, Dad?

1 comment:

  1. I would argue that the 1950s sardines would be safer to eat than this year's catch. Less mercury, PCBs and nuclear fallout.

    ReplyDelete