Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Røyrivannskoia

What is the best way to spend a March weekend in Norway, you ask? I think I've found the equation: days filled with sun, teaching newbies to ski, a "super moon" and a handful of good friends!
Six of us spent the weekend on skis in Østmarka, the eastern part of the forest around Oslo. I was joined by two charming Spaniards on the ski into the cabin. Despite it being one of the girls very first time on cross-country skis, she had an incredible attitude as we covered more than 20 K, skiing well into the night! She was a shoo-in for the "Good Sport of the Weekend" Award. We arrived to a warm cabin prepared by the other half of our group, who we assumed we would arrive before...
A few of us went back out on the trail after dinner for some moonlight skiing. The moon was at it's biggest since 1983, so it goes without saying that there was no need for headlamps. My high school ski coach rates night skis by how much writing on your skis you can read. This night escapade took it to the next level- I could see my shadow in the dead of night. There is nothing quite like a night ski on a frozen Norwegian lake under clear star-scattered skies.
Our ski back the next day took much less time than the trip in, and we spent most of it with sunglasses on and sleeves rolled up. I'm refusing to use klister until I absolutely have to, and I got by despite melty conditions. I'll take a little snow melt if it is accompanied by a little Vitamin D...

Those faces obviously haven't seen the sun for far too long...
Stay tuned for more... we are headed back out into the woods for another hut trip this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment