Wednesday, May 18, 2011

17th of May!

The 17th of May is the Norwegian Constitution Day, also refered to as National Day. It is celebrated throughout the country, and Oslo has its own grand celebration. I was thrilled to take part in the festivities! 
My day started early, before the parade along Karl Johan Gate, the main street through downtown Oslo that leads up to the royal palace. I wanted to get downtown before the masses so that I could ensure a good standing place along the parade route. The thing that struck me most while I was walking through central Oslo were the smart dressers all around me! Men and women alike were donned the traditional Norwegian outfits, called bunad. Those who were not in their traditional costume were dressed to the nines, in full suits or gorgeous dresses and heels. It was a very classy event, and I was grossly underdressed. This ain't no 4th of July...

Woman in a traditional bunad
Crown Prince Haakon and his family, May 17 (photo courtesy of nrk.no)
May 17 is also referred to as Barnas Dag, or Children's Day. It was quite clear why when the parade began. Schools from all over Oslo (103 in all!) marched down Karl Johan, many with bands or drill teams, and all with Norwegian flags and smiles.

Russ
Mayor Fabian Stang leading the parade
The weather held and a good time was had by all. Kids ate as much ice cream and polser (hot dogs) as possible, the Russ partied hard for their last time, and the royals resumed their spot to wave from the balcony of the royal palace, just like they have done for more than 100 years. I was so pleased to take part in the May 17 celebrations, especially in the capital city. 
Gratulerer med dagen!

No comments:

Post a Comment