Sunday, May 8, 2011

Tomte Spring Trip

After slogging through a 13 page economics paper, I needed a break. My eyes were fried from staring at a computer screen and my skin was dying for some of those beautiful May sun beams that had been taunting me for the last week, beaconing me out of the library-induced coma. So, with a week between the essay hand-in date and my final exam, I decided to head to the woods! It was exactly the respite that I needed.  

I went to the same hut that I visited with Paul back in January. This time, I could actually seen the flora! I stayed for three nights, and the long spring days (the sun rises before 5 AM and the evening glow lasts beyond 10 PM!) allowed me plenty of time to explore, read in the sun, and decompress from school-overload.

I knew from the DNT website that I would be sharing the hut for the second night, but I didn't know what type of folks they would be. After a long hike on the second day, I arrived 'home' to some more backcountry travelers, two swiss women who had cooked an extra portion of a traditional swiss meal of Alpine Pasta (with the TASTIEST cheese I have had in a long time) in anticipation of my return. I happily gobbled up my share! Unfortunately, they were only staying for one night, but it was a pleasant surprise to share the hut with such great ladies!

The solo trip was everything I was looking for. Now, it is back to the city and back to the books for the final push.

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing you're through your final push now, but this 3 day break sounded perfect! And my mouth is watering at the thought of such cheesey pasta!

    ReplyDelete