Saturday, February 19, 2011

FIS World Cup: Drammen 10K/15K Classic Race

Wow! I spent the day at Konnerud near Drammen watching the final World Cup race before the Championships at Holmenkollen next week. It was quite the experience! My friend Emma and I took practically every mode of public transportation to get the course, but the organization was great and the race was easy to find. We joined the hordes of other spectators in the woods, watching and cheering trail-side. (Event organizers estimated 15,000 in attendance at the event today!) Everyone was equipped with a seat pad, a Norwegian flag, an alcoholic beverage, and lots of down jackets. I have to agree with Canadian racer Chandra Crawford when she told Fasterskier that "all of my clothes smell like campfire and waffles."The atmosphere was buzzing and the crowd was ready for the races to begin.

First up were the ladies. Unfortunately, Kikkan Randall sat out the race in order to be prepared for tomorrow's skate sprint- her specialty. Marit Bjørgen (no surprises here) smashed the field in the 10K Classic and secured yet another World Cup win. The woman is incredible. Here is a video of Therese Johaug (4th overall) and Marit Bjørgen on the final lap:

Polish star Justyna Kowalczyk took second and Aino Kaisa Saarinen from Finland was third. Sadie Bjornsen was the top US finisher in 51st place. She reported to Fasterskier that she didn't mind the noise of cheering hordes of spectators. The hurrah "was so loud that it drowned out the voices inside her own head." As a coxswain, I feel like my job was done.

A few hours later, the men took to the trails. Daniel Rickardsson from Sweden won the 15K classic, his first-ever victory in a World Cup race. Martin Johnsrud Sundby from Norway took second. Kris Freeman was the top US finisher in 57th place. Rickardsson (in white) sure was looking strong as he passed Peter Northug (in red, 3rd overall):

And speaking of that infamous Norwegian Bad Boy- Northug was sporting a sufficiently creepy Fu Manchu mustache. Don't just take my word for it. The podium picture backs me up:
photo courtesy of worldcupdrammen.no
(Side Note: I have a hypothesis about a mid-career crisis of professional athletes, and the result of this "Identity Questioning" usually has to do with a horrible mustache attempt. Case in point: Michael Phelps. What is the need to channel the inner- Hulk Hogan? I don't think I'll ever know...)

 To say that it was "fun" to be part of the action would be a massive understatement. The energy that the crowd creates is infectious! My voice is sore from the endless "HEIA! HEIA!" of encouragement for every athlete. My American flag was somewhat "drowned out by the sea of Norwegian crimson," but I waved it proudly and did my best to cheer on my fellow countrymen and women. I'm headed back tomorrow for the sprints, Old Glory in one hand and camera in the other. Check back in to be part of the action!

Here are the full results for the Women and Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment