Thursday, February 24, 2011

Birthday Ski!

The best thing about your birthday is that you own the day. Out of all the days on the calender, the day of your birth should be spent doing exactly what you want to do. That is precisely what I did.
I skied to a favorite hut in Nordmarka but chose a new route to get there. The air was cold and the snow was so light that it billowed away from my skis like a ruptured feather pillow. You know that fake snow that people in Florida use to decorate? So fluffy that it couldn't ever be real? Well, in Norway, window-shop fluff comes to life.
Spending the day reflecting on the past 21 years made me feel deeply grateful for the people that I share my life with. Every moment was a reminder of how generous my family and friends are, and just how much I am loved and supported every day of the year. 
A goofy love poem from my partner-in-crime, birthday wishes from friends near and far, a 40K ski, tokens from home, and a sunny afternoon. All of that was topped with a fireworks display set to regal music by the Staff Band of the Norwegian Armed Forces during the start of the World Championships of the sport that I love. Could I have asked for a better birthday?

No comments:

Post a Comment