Monday, April 18, 2011

Guest Spot: Hannah Stutzman

I met Hannah during my first year at University. Although we weren't roomates, we shared a flat in the student residences (Wahoo OACS!).  She was always galavanting around Humboldt County on one adventure or another (I am having flashbacks of a chicken that she brought back to the dorms after visiting a local processing plant). Her curiosity about the world continued to grow- Hannah headed off to Guam this past August for a year abroad. To find out read more about her experiences on Guam, check out her blog, and look under "Guam Updates."

Where do you study in Guam? 
The University of Guam.

Why did you choose Guam?
It's still technically a part of the U.S. and the university is accredited, but it's the furthest away I could get (physically, culturally, and environmentally) from what I had experienced before. Guam is located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, below Japan & to the east of the Philippines.

What were your expectations before you went abroad?
I remember trying not to have any high expectations, because after moving around a lot, I've learned that my expectations are seldom met in the beginning. When I came to Guam with few expectations, I had no problems! Imagine that... The other exchange students were very unhappy at first. But once they goth through the first few weeks, everyone was happy. In fact they didn't want to leave when it came time (they opted to stay for one semester, while I had signed up for two). One thing that we had all thought was that we'd be right next to a beach, where we'd go swimming everyday. That didn't happen. We were located on the top of a giant limestone cliff, above rough waters filled with sharp coral. The nice beaches were on the other side of the island.

What were the biggest challenges for you? What surprised you the most?
One of my biggest challenges was learning to share. I had a local islander roommate. Islanders share, and it's sharing at a whole new dimension. My stuff would randomly disappear and show up in the neighbor's room. It wasn't stealing- they just borrow stuff without asking and don't bring it back right away. Borrowing the laptop was really what got me, though. I would find myself getting angry every time someone asked to borrow it, which was multiple times per day. Eventually, I got over that, especially now that I live with an islander family who I love dearly. Literally, whatever is mine, is theirs. And I don't mind! It's a beautiful thing.

What was the biggest lesson that you got out of your time in Guam?
One of the biggest lessons I'm learning is to just let things go (the islander lifestyle, nei?!). At first, the fact that nobody else was stressed, high-strung, and on-top of things freaked me out a little- especially when it came to getting paperwork done and in the right place. I feel like I really had a mini-epiphany: I decide what my emotions are. If I want to get stressed and angry,  I can and I will, but I can also decide to just let that stress and anger go. And with the aid of willpower, it works. Amazing! Yay for the islander chillaxing lifestyle; don't worry, be happy.

What suggestions would you have for people who are thinking about studying abroad?
Just do it. As long as you have the finances and you're curious about life, then studying abroad is for you. If you can't afford to fly to some exotic place, just keep in mind that there are lots of interesting and new places to explore under the National Student Exchange (the program that I'm currently in). You can find out more from your school's exchange coordinators. SPEND TIME WITH THE LOCALS! Don't just hang out with other exchange students. Get out there and meet people from wherever you are. Learn about the culture, try new things. Get away from school and see what the environment is like. Meet people from completely different backgrounds from your own- expand your world view!! Give your exchange experience some time. You will probably get homesick at some point, but homesickness is NOT the end of the world. You may want to network and make connections to locals in your host before you leave, if possible. That way, you can get to know people before you end up in a foreign country and you'll feel a little more at home once you get there. 


Any other comments?
I wouldn't change my decision to go on exchange for the world. I feel that I have grown so much: spiritually, mentally, emotionally, academically, you name it.


Thank you, Hannah!



Did you miss the others?
Here is an introduction to the Guest Spot Project.
Catch up with Guest Spot: Jan Havlas and his experience in Norway.
Catch up with Guest Spot: Mary Centrella and her experience in Mexico.
Catch up with Guest Spot: Mirjam Blaum and her experience in Norway.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! This is awesome :D
    You picked some good pictures, too (just as a side-note, the top & bottom pictures are from my winter break vacation on the nearby island of Saipan--my point: get out of your area & explore neighboring countries or other areas, too, if you can).

    ReplyDelete