Sunday, April 3, 2011

Guest Spot: Mary Centrella

Mary and I share the same hometown of Jackson, Wyoming. Both distance swimmers on the Jackson Hole High School Swim Team, we spent a fair amount of time side by side- in the pool and on countless bus rides criss-crossing the state. She is in her third year at the University of Wyoming. 

Where did you choose to study?
Cholula in Puebla, Mexico.

Why did you choose Mexico?
I chose Mexico because it is our neighbor and there is so much immigration from Mexico to the US that I thought it would be really interesting and helpful to understand that.

What were your expectations before you went abroad?
I expected to have trouble learning the language and I hoped to become fluent in Spanish. I also expected to meet a lot of different people and learn about the world.

What were the biggest challenges for you? What surprised you the most?
My biggest challenge was something I didn't expect. I had so much trouble accepting the culture there. I was surprised by how kind and amazing most of the Mexicans were to me. The Mexican people really made the trip for me.

What was the biggest lesson that you got out of your time in Mexico?
I learned that embracing the present is more important than anything and friends and family are what matter most. I also learned to relax a little and enjoy life more. And I learned to be thankful for things I never thought of. 

What suggestions would you have for people who are thinking about studying abroad?
I think I focused too much on "seeing EVERYTHING" and traveling, but, when I look back on it, the best times that I appreciate most were those spent just relaxing and chatting with people. Don't get too focused on trying to do everything.

Any other comments?
Studying abroad is SO important. It helps us see how the world works. I had done a fair amount of traveling before I studied abroad but I realize now that traveling is not how you "get" a culture. You have to live there to understand the people and the country and the culture. I will never regret any aspect of my study abroad, except that it ended.

Thank you, Mary!


Did you miss the others?
Here is an introduction to the Guest Spot Project.
Catch up with Guest Spot: Jan Havlas and his experience in Norway.

No comments:

Post a Comment