Sunday, April 10, 2011

Guest Spot: Mirjam Blaum

I met Mirjam in Oslo this past Autumn. We traveled to Fjærland together in September for the hiking and glacier trip, then both attended the "Sleep in the Woods" hut trip in October. It was really fun to get to know Mirjam this fall, and I wish she could have stayed another semester!

Where is your home university?
I study at Universität Bamberg, Germany.

Why did you choose Norway?
I chose Norway because I wanted to study in a Scandinavian country. I also wanted to know more about the politics, the welfare state system and the education system of Norway, which are highly esteemed in Germany and around the world.

What were your expectations before you went abroad?
Before I went to Norway, I had heard that the people were really good English-speakers. But while I was there, it still surprised me how many people spoke nearly fluent English! I think that Germany and the German people should take this as a very good example to follow. I was also impressed by the Norwegian people and their closeness to nature- it is just great how they go hiking during the summertime and cross country skiing during the wintertime- not thinking about good or bad weather conditions. Being in the Norwegian nature makes you feel free! 

What were the biggest challenges for you? What surprised you the most?
The biggest challenge I had was probably the fact that I lived in a flat with 14 other people and in a really small room with another person. But even that I was really afraid of (sharing a room and a flat), and it was a great experience.

What was the biggest lesson that you got out of your time in Norway?
Sometimes it is just important to be brave- otherwise you would miss so many experiences.

What suggestions would you have for people who are thinking about studying abroad?
Just be brave and go abroad!! It will be one of the best experiences you will ever have!

Thank you, Mirjam!



Did you miss the others?
Here is an introduction to the Guest Spot Project.
Catch up with Guest Spot: Jan Havlas and his experience in Norway.
Catch up with Guest Spot: Mary Centrella and her experience in Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment