Friday, November 19, 2010

Winter Wanderings

The snow is slowly infiltrating. Last weekend, we got a great layer, small but persistent, growing as you reached higher elevations. Just 30 minutes away from the sleepy little student village on Saturday morning, it looked like this:

No, not skiable yet. But soon. The taste of ski trails is in the air. We are so close! The snow silenced the woods, creating that buffer of white that plugs the sounds from the outside world. While countless 20-year-olds were attending to hangovers from Friday night, I was out HERE. There is no where else I would have rather been.

We haven't seen any more snow for a couple days, and the sidewalks have turned from powdered fluff to black ice, and I hear grumbling from fellow students. Yeah, that wind is bitter cold, and the gray skies may not be the "frosting" on the city that you expected. But if you go away from the city center, away from the bus station and grocery store, it still is pristine.



That says something about my experience here: On these days of little light, now that some of your shining expectations have lost their luster, take a little walk. In those quiet woods just a short walk away, you'll find what you're looking for. It's not about just showing up. It's about seeking out what you are looking for.

Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.
Rachel Carson

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Katie! Your blog about your adventures abroad is AWESOME!!! I'm on exchange in Guam for a year & am also blogging. If your ever interested, I post weekly updates & sometimes some pictures, but I don't think my blog lives up to your blog's standards in the least :P

    If you ever have time, feel free to check mine out. Here's my blog address: hstutzman.wordpress.com

    Looks like you're having an amazing time! I love all of the pictures!!! Norway looks like a great place.

    ReplyDelete